If you don't have something worth dying for, then you don't have anything worth living for.
But you can take things too far. You can care more about your beliefs than they are worth. Being willing to kill anyone that thinks a certain brand of cookies doesn't taste good is not a good thing.
Neither is putting the needs of your political party above the needs of your country. Even if you think your party is correct and the other party is sent by the devil himself to destroy your country, you still can NOT put the needs of your party above the needs of the country. Not even for a little bit.
So lets talk about the cases where people have their priorities backwards, where their partisanship has gone to the extreme and they are nothing but a joke.
Here are signs that you are a partisan fool:
- You do whats best for your party, even if it is bad for your country.
- You insist that EVERYTHING has to do with your group. Anything bad you ascribe to enemies of your party, and anything good must be caused by your party.
- You can't conceive of a good person being both informed and not on your side. You think the only reason good people are not for you is that they are ignorant/uneducated.
- You can't conceive of an informed person thinking your issues are irrelevant. If they understand your issues than they must either be good people and on your side or bad people and your enemies. No one is allowed to be informed yet remain neutral (Thus you think the media must either be with your or against you, no neutrality) "You are either with us or against us."
- You can't conceive of being wrong on even the smallest of side issues. You think any scientific studies that prove you wrong must be invalid - done by the opposition and designed to fail.
- You defend (or refuse to attack) members of your own group even when you know they are wrong (or have committed a crime).
Political Parties are not the end all and be all. The good of the country is far more important.
When you do these six things you are placing your partisan political party above the country, and have crossed the line from a loyal politically active person, and become a traitor to your own country.
It doesn't matter if you are liberal, conservative, fascist, communist, libertarian, monarchist, theocratic,republican, democrat, progressive, royalists, tory, whig, bull moose, or anything else.
Putting any political party above and beyond the country proves you to be a fool not worth listening to. Political parties exist to serve the country, not the other way around.